Saturday 13 September 2014

My Summer Travels: Montpellier, France











Hola lovelies!

So I have had probably the best summer EVER! 

My summer started in June and I will return to university pretty soon, in about a week.. sad but also exciting! However, I have managed to pack in so many things! I am planning to do a series on the different places I have visited, with some pictures of sights I saw and people I shared my experiences with. 

The first instalment in this series is Montpellier, in the South of France. I spent three weeks here at a summer school as part of my university course, as I study French and Spanish. These three weeks were absolutely amazing and jam packed full of learning and cultural discoveries. The weather was perfection, however I did find the heat difficult when in 4 hour lessons during the day! I love the look of Mediterranean cities, the colours are predominantly light and the buildings are painted unusual colours - a nice change from the British greys. 

We visited so many places, too many to put a photo of everything on this post. Being so close to the coast though allowed for the breathtaking coastal views nearly every place we visited. I ate at so many little French cafés and probably ate my body weight in gelato, which in my book only tells me that I enjoyed myself to the fullest. Every Friday in La place de la Comédie in the centre of Montpellier, there was 'Les Estivales' where little craft and food stores lined the square and live music was playing in each corner. It seemed like everyone came here each Friday and we weren't even deterred by the hour long thunderstorm that we experienced the first Friday. It was a lovely atmosphere as everyone scoured the stalls by night, listening to music, eating good food and drinking good (but inexpensive) wine! 3 glasses for 5 euros definitely caught our eye! 

Although I learnt a lot of French, and essentially spent three weeks soaking up the French culture and trying to pretend to be Française, it wouldn't have been the same without the 20 something other students who were also on the trip. 

 I can't wait to revisit Montpellier, and other southern cities of France, and eat more chocolate brioche everyday for 50p (and learn and use French... of course hehe).

Have you ever visited Montpellier or the South of France? 

Bethany x



No comments:

Post a Comment